Oct 7, 2010

Durutti Cab for Star Wars

When I went to see Star Wars with my father, I remember saying it was the Best Movie Evar!  I distinctly recall him saying it was a good "B dogfighting movie" and I had to ask what a B movie was.  And what a dogfight was.  In my defense, I was seven.

He was right, of course. But it astounded me that he could NOT be blown away by the Best Movie Evar, regardless. And I'm sure he chuckled to himself and thought about the excitement of experiencing something for the first time and thinking it's the best.  Your first love is always your most intense, right?

When someone says something like "Death Cab For Cutie is the Best Music Evar!" I say it's good music, but emo's been around since punk, really.  I bled my adolescent depressive wounds to the tune of Joy Division, This Mortal Coil, and the Durutti Column.  And that whole discussion is what tells me I've grown old.

In both stories we have generational disagreements, and will always have those disagreements, with one exception:

Star Wars was indeed the Best Movie Evar.

No comments: