Everybody always says "just slap some porch paint on 'er and she's done!" in regards to my current class of shipbuilding. (By current class I mean midwestern dads kicking the midlife crisis in a rowboat built from supplies at Homer's or Ace. Not the nautical professional, not a true sailor, not a serious boatbuilder.) [no offense, anybody]
Well, being so much smarter than everyone else who's done this, I went to Menards and explained my very complicated paint needs to a minimum wage paint jockey. I was sold a wonderful industrial maintenance paint that went on like tar and looked like it was going to cure to be a sheet of slate on my boat, only slightly lighter. Two days later and it's still sticky, but I'm thinking "it's on epoxy, of course it'll take a bit longer." After a week plus I decided the wet paint wasn't going to get any dryer and sucked it up and started scraping. The fact that it was so easy to slip the paint off really did tell me I should have gone traditional long ago. So after a bunch of scraping, mineral spirits, washing, sanding, and prepping... I'm porch painted up on one side. I'll get another layer or two of paint on there and hopefully by the weekend I'll put a layer of transparent protection on there, give it a week to cure, and flip it for the other side.
I still have to do the whole chisel, mineral spirits and sanding on the bottom. Joy. All I'll have to do after that is the other side, the roof, the interior, the bunks... Sweet!
I did, however, cut a porthole frame and the Lexan to go in it and it went really well. I also sanded and painted the window frames and have come closer to understanding how I want to solve the "how to open a window" issue.