Dec 6, 2018

Copenhagen Adventure, Day 4

Daylight is rare here, so I was going to maximize it for pictures.  Unfortunately, it was raining.  Like, seriously raining  Luckily I had my waterproof winter coat and a rocking umbrella, but I spent much of the day angling it to keep it from being ripped from my hands by the wind.  It was cold, too, but I was wrapped up snugly and happy as can be.

I made my way through Copenhagen towards the water.



My corner coffee shop

Frederiks Kirke

Not my umbrella experience

Russian Orthodox Church

Beautiful random Copenhagen

Changing of the guard at Amalienborg
Bronze cast equestrian statue of King Frederik V mounted on a marble plinth & completed in 1771



Buildings near the design museum

Crufty.  I like it.

Danish Frigate Peder Skram across the harbor 


Ferry


Rain, the order of the day


Memorial Park




World War 2 Fallen statue with Magpie on barrel of gun for effect.  
I was seeing Magpies all over the place in Copenhagen, and had to look them up to identify them.  Did you know that the black and white Eurasian magpie is widely considered one of the most intelligent animals in the world?  They are one of only a few non-mammal species able to recognize itself in a mirror test!

Pictures from Kastellet, a star-shaped 17th-century fortress with ramparts & a museum.  And it's a lovely place to wander around.

Again, people all around, but it's all about the timing.



Monument to Denmark's international activities after 1948



This is my favorite picture so far.

The little mermaid...

Bloody tourist crowds at the little mermaid

Seafarers Monument

Just a super cool boat


Scenes near The Genetically Modified Little Mermaid -- this is a fascinating piece of art and there were absolutely no crowds.  I prefer it to the original!






I walked from the shore north to the park behind the Danish National Gallery, then across to the Geological Museum.  It totally rocked.  :)



Amazing Architecture




Finally, I went over to a commercial area near Norreport, checked out the TorvehallerneKBH, an amazing food market, but fairly thick with tourists.

Soaked to the bone, exhausted, but happy I headed back to the hotel (picking up some fancy Danish pizza, if that's a thing) on the way, only to crash and get a good night's sleep.

No comments: